For truckers with an affinity for the military, hauling military freight is a nice glimpse into their world. And, if you’re a driver who’s interested in this field, there are a few ways to go about it.
Ways to Secure Military Freight
- Get in with a trucking company that already has a solid history with military contracts. Additionally, working as an owner operator for a carrier with military freight experience can also elevate your skill level.
- Find a general freight and arms broker, also known as a FAK that can provide leads on military freight jobs. However, just be sure that the FAK broker has been recognized by the Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC).
- Also, if you’re an owner operator, you can get approval from the SDDC to become your own FAK trucking carrier.
Getting Approved for FAK Hauling
By far the easiest way for owner operators to haul military freight is by becoming an FAK carrier. However, there is an extensive process you must complete first before doing so.
- First, you need a carrier alpha code. You can file online for $68, but if you prefer to file by paper, it’ll cost $78. The letter code is specific to your truck and issued by the National Motor Freight Traffic Association.
- Additionally, an SDCC registration form must also be completed online.
- Furthermore, military freight payments are dispersed through US Bank Freight Payments via the Department of Defense. Therefore, FAK haulers must also have an electronic banking account through US Bank Freight Payments as well.
- Military freight haulers must also be bonded by a performance bond, which is available through the Small Business Administration. The amounts vary depending on the number of states you haul in. You must also electronically submit this information to the SCAC.
- Furthermore, you’ll want to increase your cargo insurance as well.
Attaining CDL special endorsements is also another great way to haul the more dangerous and exciting items.
Lastly, keep in mind that when it comes to the military, regulations and security clearances are much more severe. Therefore, you’ll want to be sure that all inspections are up to date, and that your paperwork is legally in order.
This Post Has One Comment
Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this web site needs way more consideration. I’ll probably be once more to read much more, thanks for that info.